Pages

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Where did they get it?

Ok remember how I said earlier today that I would be expanding on the obeying the laws? Ok here we go folks.
As a School crossing guard employed by my city's sherriffs office, part of my job is to observe driver behavior. I can tell you right now I don't know how these motorists got thier liscense nor how they keep it. I have 2 signs facing in both directions in my SCHOOL ZONE that warns drivers they are entering a school zone where the speed limit is 15 MPH. Plus I am hard to miss in my dayglow yellow uniform. Yet 90% zip right threw the zone going 35+ MPH without even a care!!! They don't care that they might hit a child, animal or adult. Some act like it is their life mission to go as fast as they can on this residential street going upwards of 40+ MPH and even speeding up when they get to the school zone!!
What is wrong with motorists these days? Is where you are going so urgent that you can't slow down and observe the speed limit? If you think you are in a hurry now what are you going to think when you hit a child or a crossing guard while you are zipping threw the school zone? I have had drivers not even stop when I am holding up a sign that says STOP, thankfully "my kids" are good to listen to me and don't enter the crosswalk without my instructions to do so (most of the time, they are kids after all).
My other peave? Do drivers know what a crosswalk is for? it sure isn't for parking your car there while waiting in line at the car rider pick up lane. That crosswalk has to stay clear for the crossing guard to cross children (And adults we cross parents/siblings/aunts/uncles/grandparents too). If your vehicle is in the crosswalk at all we can't cross them.
Ok done venting just needed to get that off my chest. But please pay attention to the school zones and don't speed in these areas, someone's life might depend on you slowing down.

No comments:

Post a Comment